Simple Home Remedies for Constipation
Constipation is a condition that can cause the person suffering from it a lot of trauma. Although constipation can be a sign of a bigger problem like we explained in our previous post, if your medical check up has cleared you of any serious conditions, you could use simple home remedies to relieve the discomfort. Here are a few of them that can work wonders:
1. Triphala powder or Triphala Churna, consists of three fruits - Amla or Indian gooseberry (read about the amazing benefits of amla), Haritaki (Chebulic Myrobalan) and Vibhitaki(Bellirica Myrobalan). It is a great laxative and helps to regulate digestion and bowel movements. You can either have one teaspoon with warm water or mix the powder with honey. Having this mixture either before going to bed or early in the morning on an empty stomach can relieve constipation almost instantaneously. The advantage of this powder is that it is not habit forming and a completely natural alternative to chemical laxatives. Read about other ways to beat constipation with triphla.
2. Raisins (kishmish) are packed with fiber and act as great natural laxatives. Soak a handful in water overnight and have them first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This remedy also works wonders for pregnant woman, without the side effects of medication. Raisins are also known to be better energy boosters than energy bars, so using them not only gives your health a boost it also relieves constpation.
3. Guavas (amrood or peru) have soluble fibre in the pulp and insoluble fiber content in the seeds (find out why guavas are great for your health). They also help with the mucus production in the anus and with peristalsis (a series of contractions within the intestinal lining that helps the passage of food in the stomach). Guavas are also a natural way to boost your immunity, find out how.
4. Lemon (Nimbu) juice is recommended by most Ayurvedic practitioners as a quick and simple remedy for constipation. A warm glass of water with lemon and salt, first thing in the morning not only acts as a cleansing agent for the intestines, the salt content helps in quick and easy passage of stool. All you need to do is mix one teaspoon of lemon juice in a glass of warm water. Add a pinch of salt to the solution. Drink this juice on an empty stomach to relieve constipation. This juice also is a great way to detox your body. Read about a step-by-step guide to detoxing your body the Ayurveda way.
5. Figs (Anjeer), either dried or ripe, are packed with fiber and act as a great natural laxative. For relief from constipation, boil a few figs in a glass of milk, drink this mixture at night before bed. Make sure the mixture is warm when you drink it. Using a whole fruit for this purpose is much better as compared to syrups that are available commercially.
6. Flax seeds (Alsi) are known for their fiber content, and can very well help you when it comes to constipation. You can mix flax seeds in your cereal every morning or just have a handful with warm water early in the morning. Fiber is an essential addition to your diet, not only does it neat constipation it also keeps hypertension at bay, fights diabetes, staves off heart disease, fights off obesity and can reduce your risk of suffering from cancer.
7. Castor oil (Arandi ka tel) has been used for centuries as a sure shot remedy for constipation and has properties that can kill intestinal worms. If drinking a spoon of castor oil alone is not something you’d like to do, you could add a tablespoon of it in a warm glass of milk. Have this mixture at night before bed to relieve constipation.
8. Spinach (Palak) have properties that cleanse, rebuild and renew the intestinal tract (readwhy palak can do much more for your body than relieve constipation)You can have about 100 ml of spinach juice mixed with an equal quantity of water twice daily. This home remedy is the most effective method to cure even the most stubborn cases of constipation. Read about why you suffer from constipation.
9. Oranges are not only a great source of Vitamin C but also have a large amount of fiber content (read why you should incude oranges into your diet). Eating two oranges every day, once in the morning and once in the evening can provide great relief from constipation. Read about what the best food sources for various vitamins are.
10. Seed mixtures with 2-3 sunflower seeds, a few flax seeds, til or sesame seeds and almonds ground together to a fine powder can help relieve constipation (read about how til or sesame seeds can benefit your all-round health). Have one tablespoon of this mixture everyday, for a week. You can add it to your salad or cereal every morning. This mixture not only provides the necessary fiber content to relieve constipation but it also helps in rejuvenating the intestinal walls.